Written by: Jade Dixon, DCMS TEAM
Date: July 20, 2020
Some people listen to music as a way to escape life, but for others, music is life.
I had the opportunity to speak with our founder Dior Ashley Brown, a DC-based artist extraordinaire, dubbed the “Hip-Hop Polymath” by The Washington Post, about how DC Music Summit (DCMS) is utilizing its platform to help local musicians successfully navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic. DCMS is a leader in emphasizing the value of underrepresented artists and teaching artists how to evolve and thrive in the music industry. As the norm of life changes, it is crucial to encourage creatives to stay motivated and practice their craft.
“You have to keep moving towards your goals even within our current limitations, make time for self-care, knock out that list of things you’ve been wanting to get done like reading, advancing your skills, getting deeper in your craft. This is definitely the time to go within to meditate/pray, to reset. ” -- Dior Ashley Brown
Dior provided tips below on how to keep grinding during COVID-19:
1. Don't stop creating. It’s our time to do what we love, and what is sorely needed. Music is like a muscle. The more you train it, the more it activates. Creating is a way of finding yourself, expanding on your capabilities, and evolving into a stronger sense of being.
2. Invest in yourself and your craft. Yes, it's necessary to believe in you! Invest time, energy, and resources into your passion. Take that class, read that book, save up for that piece of equipment. Investing in you and what you love can reap rewards.
3. Ride the wave. Storms and obstacles will come. Jump over those hurdles. Those challenges are there to make you stronger and to show what you're made of. Realize it, acknowledge it, tend to it, and attempt to heal at your pace as best you can to see yourself on the other side of it. You can do this!
4. Stay spiritually healthy both inside and out. Health is wealth and we’ve heard it many times before. Feed your spirit with goodness, meditation, positive energy, outdoor activities, and self care.
5. Never stop learning. There’s a saying, “You're only as old as your ability to process information.” From my interpretation, you age the moment you decide there isn’t anymore to learn. But, the awesome part about life is that there is always something new to learn every single day.
There is no finish line, and there is no rush. Use these tips as a way to guide you through this pandemic and your everyday life. As you continue working towards your goals, remember that going after your dreams is no easy feat. Just keep moving towards those challenges, and success will follow.
We want to hear from you! Share your tips and tricks on how you cope as an artist during these challenging times in the comments below.